S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
简介A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human r ...
A senior South Korean diplomat has held talks with the new US special envoy for North Korean human rights and agreed to cooperate in launching a consultative body to better address the rights situation in the North, Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday.
Chun Young-hee, director general for the Korean Peninsula peace regime, and Ambassador Julie Turner met Monday and discussed efforts to coordinate over North Korean human rights issues, it said.
Turner, who is currently visiting Seoul on a three-day trip, was officially sworn in Friday, ending more than six years of vacancy at the post.
Chun congratulated Turner on her appointment, saying the two countries could strengthen joint efforts to improve North Korea's human rights situation and hold the North accountable for the issue.
He also proposed launching a consultative body on North Korea's human rights to discuss specific cooperative measures between the two countries, according to the ministry.
The two sides agreed to maintain close communication to launch the consultative body via diplomatic channels at the earliest date possible. (Yonhap)
A total of 187 fatal occupational incidents involving E-9 foreign workers occurred during the period ...
North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required ...
More elderly Koreans are working after retirement to avoid poverty, but many find their income insuf ...
Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
[Herald Interview] S&P economist tells Korea to brace for worst
New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
The Korea Herald to hold space forum on Oct. 11
- YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- S. Korean women dominate recurve archery at Asian Games
- Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Jungkook of BTS to hold fan showcase on Nov. 20
- Human rights commission urges Korea to abolish death penalty
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- [Today’s K
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- Stray Kids to release new album 'Rock
- Netflix to release ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ in November
- 외교부, 이스라엘 전역 여행경보 ‘특별여행주의보’ 발령
- Samsung unveils next
- Voter interest reaches all
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- Asiana may ditch cargo business to close Korean Air merger deal
- Subway fare in greater Seoul rises to 1,400 won
- Foreigners ditch sluggish Korean stocks
- Hyundai, Kia to transition to Tesla charging system in North America
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles