USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
简介The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base ...
The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base later this week, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday, in a major show of force against North Korean threats.
Carrier Strike Group 5, which includes the aircraft carrier, the Aegis-equipped USS Shoup destroyer and other warships, will enter the naval base in Busan, 320 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on Thursday for a five-day visit, according to the ministry.
The USS Ronald Reagan last visited South Korea in September 2022 for the first time after about four years. It is the second U.S. aircraft carrier to visit the nation this year after the USS Nimitz docked in Busan in March for naval drills with South Korea.
The visit comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea unveiled a new "tactical nuclear attack" submarine early last month. It has also vowed to launch a military spy satellite again this month after two failed attempts this year.
The ministry said the carrier strike group's visit has been scheduled as part of the U.S. commitment to further enhance the "regular visibility" of strategic assets to the peninsula as outlined by their leaders in the Washington Declaration issued in April this year.
"(The visit) is a key demonstration of the U.S.' extended deterrence in action, and will become an opportunity to strengthen the combined defense posture for an immediate, overwhelming and decisive response against North Korea's continued provocations," Vice Adm. Kim Myung-soo, South Korea's Fleet Commander, was quoted as saying.
The U.S. carrier strike group took part in a two-day trilateral exercise in international waters southeast of the resort island of Jeju through Tuesday, involving South Korean and Japanese warships, the first such drills in seven years.
During its stay in Busan, the U.S. carrier strike group plans to conduct friendly exchanges with the South Korean Navy. (Yonhap)
A total of 187 fatal occupational incidents involving E-9 foreign workers occurred during the period ...
이재명 더불어민주당 대표 국회 체포동의안 가결(지난 21일)이 내년 총선 판도에 미칠 파장을 두고 국민의힘 내부에서 손익 계산이 분주하다. 민주당 내 이탈표로 확인된 내분의 씨앗이 ...
The teaser video for Seventeen’s 11th EP was brought down on Sunday, said agency Pledis Entertainmen ...
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- SK Earthon starts first independent oil production in South China Sea
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art
- S.Korea's largest
- 여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
[Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
- Sunmi to return with new digital single ‘Stranger’
- 임명직 마다한 장제원 의미심장 글 "발톱 숨기고 때 기다린다"
- Fifty Fifty’s agency, Attrakt, files W1b compensation claim against The Givers
- S. Korea to crack down on illegal immigrants
- 1 in 4 foreign workers earn more from unemployment benefits than from work
- 박성중 "다음 中응원은 드루킹 시즌2…강서구 선거 안심 못해"
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed rate pause hopes
- [Book Review] 'The Korean Wave in a Post
- 사전투표 D
- Jarasum Jazz Fest to kick off Friday
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- N.Korea blasts Yoon for denouncing military ties with Russia at UN
- [Herald Interview] Kim Jee
- 여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
- Will Kep1er disband? Project group eyes extension with 'Magic Hour'
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- KFCC hosts UN conference for inclusive finance
- Court finds ban on leafleting into NK unconstitutional, ban on praise for NK constitutional
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam